Thursday, June 9, 2011

Austin goes to the hospital again. Part 2

Here is some more of the story......


On Sunday Josh went back to Flagstaff. I was really sad for him to go but I wanted him to be in Flagstaff with the older kids. My sister Jo lives in Phoenix and she was really good to me. She brought me lunch, did my laundry and spent a lot of time with me. Austin slowly got better. Each day he made improvements. One of the mornings that we were there he had a partial seizure so the doctors increased his dose of one of the anti-seizure medications. On Monday the nurses took him off of Intensive care status which means less cords and monitors. WhoooHooo!




On Tuesday at one point he was off of all of his cords so I walked the halls with him. It was a good change of scenery. He loved it! He smiled at every nurse and doctor that he saw. The nurses loved him. They voted him the cutest kid in the ICU!


One of the biggest risks of meningitis is hearing loss. While were in Phoenix the doctors did a hearing screen. Everything came back perfectly normal. This was a huge relief for me. I know this is the result of many, many prayers and fasting in his behalf!


We have so many people to thank!




On Wednesday he was feeling well enough to be transfered back to the Flagstaff hospital. Yippee!


After we finally got all the paperwork done to leave, we loaded in the ambulance to drive around the block and find out that the A/C was broken. It was soooo hot in the back. So we switched ambulances and we headed up the hill. Halfway to Flagstaff our new ambulance overheated. So there we were in the middle of nowhere in the back of a hot ambulance on the side of the road. Austin was such a good boy. He was very patient. We finally got it cooled down enough to make it all the way to Flagstaff. Life is great!


Since being back here, Austin continues to get better and he is almost back to his normal self.


The nurses that helped him before we were flown to Phoenix say that he looks like a completely different kid. That's a good thing.




We had a family vacation planned to leave today to go up to Utah to see our friends and Josh signed up for the Provo marathon. Being in the hospital has put a little damper in our plans but Josh decided to go anyway and take the older kids. It will be good for them to get away and have fun with dad. Tomorrow they plan on going to a water park. My good Friend Brittany is going to watch the kids while Josh runs! GOOD LUCK JOSH!


I will miss them while they are gone but they will have a good time.


The plan is for Austin to be released on Monday morning. Sunday is day 14 on antibiotics.


I can't wait to be out of here, although I have learned a lot of things while being in the hospital with Austin.




Things that I have learned or re-learned:


I love Josh! He is an amazing father and husband.


There is nothing good on TV during the day.


The morning news repeats itself every hour from 5:00am to 10:00am.


Austin is a very patient baby.


I can type one handed.


We have great friends and family.


I am an expert on the Wallow fire.


I love my bed at home.


Madelyn Jacob and Jackson are good kids.


I want to go to nursing school someday.


Jesus is aware of us.






This is a picture of our super huge room in Phoenix.






He is on a stretcher ready for transport.

















3 comments:

Maestra Smart said...

Yep pee!!!!!!! So happy to know all is almost back to normal! We love you guys and wish we could help more! You are a fighter Austin!!!!! Don't loose that little man! Sara you are a strong mama and make it all sound so easy!!!!! We hope this is the end of your hospital stays!!!

katilanae said...

Oh Sara my heart just breaks knowing all that you and your family have gone through. I'm so happy things are getting better and your little guy is improving, what a scary thing! You are so strong!

Jo said...

YAY! Keep fighting little guy. I miss visiting you, but I know that you are in a better place. LOVE YA!! Sara you are AMAZING to me!! You are a GREAT lady and mother!!